The more I barefoot walk, the more I love it! Each morning for the last few weeks I have started out my walk in my Vibram Five Fingers and then each day I take them off a little further from home. Today I did more than half of my two mile walk with Izzy completely barefoot.
A few things I have noticed about barefoot walking:
- I find my feet craving to touch the earth as I walk and let them decide now when to remove my Vibrams, which have become easier and quicker to put on with more wear.
- I like walking on the hard sidewalks and then finding soft, cool grass to step into.
- My feet are getting tougher and aren’t as bothered by little pebbles.
- I notice more about the nature around me. I now know which tree leaves want to stick to my feet and which don’t.
- I am more aware of trees that drop many seeds.
- I notice that when I walk on hills and need to bend my ankles, they freely move with my foot which is so different than when wearing shoes.
- I feel light and free when I am without shoes. I feel less stress on my hips and knees.
- When I go without shoes for most of the weekend, my feet seem pleased. The tingling in my toes and shooting pain disappears over the weekend and returns on Monday when I walk in my shoes for hours.
When I got home today I gave my feet a warm foot bath. It felt fantastic!